Episode 8: A Deep Dive into Voter Registration Drives
In episode 8 of the What Would Alice Paul Do? Podcast, we go in-depth about running voter registration projects and the importance of National Voter Registration Day, and we share an activist alert.
- What We Do Now? Standing up For Your Values In Trump’s America, Dennis Johnson, editor
- You're More Powerful than You Think: A Citizen’s Guide to Making Change Happen, Eric Liu
- Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln Doris Kearns Goodwin
- Vote411 - http://www.vote411.org
- Voter’s Edge http://votersedge.org
- Ballotpedia https://ballotpedia.org
Deeds Not Words - Deep Diving Into Voter Registration
- National Voter Registration Day (NVRD) is a great opportunity to run a voter registration drive. It is an annual event on the fourth Tuesday in September.
- NVRD Partner Toolkit
- NVRD Communications Toolkit
- Ideas on where to celebrate: Community colleges, universities, clinics, big thrift shops, churches that are hosting an event, apartments, grocery stores, transit and bus stops that have a lot of traffic, laundry mart, grocery stores, football games, rainy Saturday at bowling alleys, naturalization ceremonies, community festivals and carnivals, and coffee shops or bars that have a lot of patrons.
- LWVUS Toolkit: Get the Most out of Voter Registration (PDF)
- New Voter Registration Training Webinars from LWVUS
- Nonprofit Vote: Hold a Successful Voter Registration Event (video)
- Be sure to know your state's laws before you register. Check with your state's Secretary of State or Elections Department page
- Plan the day! Visit the location beforehand, figure out how the table should be set up, think ahead to what your volunteers need to be successful and feel comfortable, bring free giveaways, have plenty of pens and clipboards, have iPads to online registration or for fillable forms that can be printed and signed, bring lots of signage and wear clothes that make you stand out!
- High School voter registrations are better for the spring, as more students are old enough to register. Concentrate on community colleges and universities in the fall.
Activist Alert - Election Integrity Commission
League of Women Voters of the United States have given us more tools to fight Kris Kobach and his sham Election Integrity Commission. See the new talking points and Letter-to-the-Editor templates
CONNECT WITH US!
Music by OhmLab.